Wednesday, February 2, 2011

I can't believe he said that

 The other day I had an insurance agent come over to the house to give me quotes on life insurance for myself to ensure that Mark will be financially set once Guy and I pass away. 
  So we were exchanging formalities and I was liking him because he was a sweet grandfatherly type.  Then he asks me why I am seeking insurance, I explained to him that I wanted Mark to be financially set. He looks up at me and says but I thought you had 4 boys don't you want them to also be financially set. I thought to myself oh my goodness he is thinking that I am a bad mom and that Mark must be my favorite child!!  I quickly told him that Mark is my special needs child and that he has Down Syndrome and I just need to know that he will be taken care of since there is no telling what will happen with the government being able to help, since it sounds like the government will be bankrupt.
  Then he says to me "Oh my God I am soo sorry for you and your husband and your family."  He then proceeds to ask if I am looking for something that will build up cash value fast so that way when we are ready to put Mark into an institution we will have the funds available.
 I really liked this agent and I could tell that he knew no better, so I couldn't be upset with him.  I gently explained to him that children with Down Syndrome are no longer put into institutions and that they actually thrive when they grow up with their parents and siblings.  I also told him that with Early Intervention and therapy starting at babyhood that once the kids are ready to start school most of them are not too terribly far behind and at a certain age level they are able to be mainstreamed with the typical kids.
  He was very gracious and accepted my words.  Hopefully he will remember this information and he will be able to educate someone else one day.
 So what I learned from this experience is that I will have to advocate for my son because no one else will and that I will have to do it with kindness so that way it is well received by others.

Kelly,
Praying God's blessings for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment